Thursday 22 May 2014

Spicy Bean Burgers with Tomato Sauce (V, GF, No Added Fat)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Sweet ~ Poppa Joe 
Freemasons ~ Uninvited (club mix)
Rita Ora ~ I Will Never Let You Down
Ali Campbell ~ Honky Tonk Woman
Tina Dico ~ Paper Thin
Todd Rundgron ~ Rock Love 
Garbage ~ Metal Heart
Gossip ~ Listen Up!
Cory Lee ~ The Naughty Song
Tanita Tikaram ~ Valentine Heart
Don Henley ~ Everyone Knows
VAST ~ Candle 
Maroon 5 ~ Tickets
Alanis Morrisette ~ You Outta Know

It's dull and dark skied here in my little part of England today so getting any kind of decent photos is impossible which means I can't post the veggie tacos recipe I have been busy cooking this morning. Instead I bring a very basic veggie burger recipe and accompanying sauce. Now if your want in a veggie burger is for it to be very simple to make and if you are not really bothered by the look of the finished results as it gets covered with a tomato sauce...then this is the recipe for you. It is also fat free apart from the naturally occurring fats in the beans used. They burgers are baked in the oven and go no where near added fats or skillets. The tomato sauce is very quick affair...cooking off some onions then added the other ingredients and allowing it to simmer whilst you make the burgers. Easy, easy, easy. Am I selling these little things to you? No? Oh dear...ok..well you get four good sized burgers from the mix...they are incredibly cheap to make as is the combined recipes..and they aren't  mouth blistering in spiciness as the only heat comes from 1/2 tsp ground coriander but there is a little hit from it. I resisted the temptation of throwing in more spices because it was my first time making this recipe. It was a recipe I found in a much used and abused cookbook in my collection...Roses Elliot's Low Fat, Low Sugar. Why I haven't tried these burgers before I have no idea but I am glad I have now. 

As said above they won't win any foodie awards for appearance and if you can get past the whiteness of them you are in for a lovely meal. I took Elliot's advice and served mine with her tomato sauce also from the same cookbook. I couldn't imagine then staying together enough to be served in a GF bun but they would go very nicely in a pita bread..if only I could find a GF, Yeast Free, Vegan recipe for some. I always have all of the ingredients in my stocks so they are a very cheap and easy staple recipe. I hope you give them a chance too...

RE's Spicy Bean Burger with Tomato Sauce (See, so white! lol)
 

Spicy Bean Burgers with Tomato Sauce   Serves 4
(Recipes from Low Fat, Low Sugar/Elliot)

1 onion, finely chopped 
1 small carrot, grated
1/2 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp ground coriander 
425g/15oz can of kidney beans (I used pinto/borlotti)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp brown rice flour for coating

Preheat the oven to 200'C/400'F/GM 6. 

Put the onion, carrot and pepper into a non-stick pan and cook, without any additional fat or liquid, for 6-7 minutes, until they are flecked with brown, stirring often to prevent sticking. Stir in the garlic and coriander and cook for a further minute, then remove from the heat. Mash the beans and add to the vegetable mixture with some salt and freshly cracked black pepper. 

Spread the rice flour out on a flat plate or board. Divide the red bean mixture into 4 equal pieces, place on the rice flour and form into flat burgers, pressing them well and making sure they're coated all over with the rice flour. Put them on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, turning them over after 15 minutes, to cook both side. Serve hot or warm. 

Tomato Sauce  Serves 4

1 onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
425g/15 oz can tomatoes in juice
salt and freshly grated black pepper

Put the onion into a non-stick pan, cover and cook gently for about 7 minutes, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, stirring from time to time. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes, chopping them up a bit in the pan with the spoon. Bring to the boil and leave to boil gently, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is thick. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a good one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Rose Elliot and hers alone. I do send out thanks for such a great cookbook. ~R~