Saturday 28 June 2014

Red's Cucumber Sushi Bites (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Holiday Play List:

Jose Carerras ~ Dreaming Of You
Foo Fighters ~ Let It Die#
Zac Brown Band ~ Toes
Nickelback ~ Holding On To Heaven
Justin Timberlake ~ (And she said) Take Me Now
Hot Chocolate ~ You Sexy Thing
VAST ~ She Visits Me
Jack Johnson ~ Sexy Plexi 
Megadeth ~ Skin Of My Teeth
Madison Avenue ~ Everything You Need 12"
Orianthi ~ Missing You
The Eagles ~ Take It Easy
Marvin Gaye ~ Come Get To This
Marilyn Manson ~ Personal Jesus 
(you have to love iPod shuffle..lol ~R~)


What fun we had making these cucumber sushi bites. I have been watching this new craze for cucumber sushi for a while now and finally decided to have a go at making my own. I liked the idea of them being so simple to make. I enjoyed making vegan sushi recently but the nerve wrecking rolling of the nori rolls gave me a grey hair! One! That's it. lol. I made these towards the end of a long day of recipe testing in the kitchen. I was fortunate to have Ann assisting me for the day so whilst i whipped up the filling for them..she patiently rolled each piece in black sesame seeds. A task that may have pushed the virtue I sadly lack. lol. 

I had some leftover cooked brown jasmine rice and an avocado. My new delivery of Wasabi powder had arrived earlier in the week and the three of them were the base from which I started. Now I feel it only fair to warn you that these look beautiful but are quite messy to eat so make sure you have a little plate at hand....or you could just use your hand as Ann did. I failed in this effort and had to rescue black sesame seeds from..erm...places that black sesame seeds should never go!! Yikes..lol. The finished dish had many layers of flavour and great textures. I was worried that the flavours would get lost in the potent cucumber flesh but it didn't. The cucumber gave it a refreshing burst whilst you enjoyed the savoury filling, crunch from the fresh veggies and the hit of heat from the chilli. We enjoyed ours and I look forward to making more...

Red's Cucumber Sushi Bites (vegan & gluten-free)

Red's Cucumber Sushi Bites    Makes 6 pieces
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Rose Vegan Kitchen)

1 thick cucumber, peeled and cut into 1.5" slices, seeds removed 
1/4 cup black sesame seeds 

1/2 of avocado, flesh 
1/2 tsp wasabi powder mixed with 3/4 tsp water into a paste
1 heaped 1/4 tsp  micro-grated fresh ginger 
1/3 red Birdseye fresh chilli with seeds, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Braggs or soy/tamari
1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil

1/3 cup cooked brown rice, cold

2 baby sweetcorn, cut lengthways into quarters
18 pieces of finely julienne strips of carrot 
28 pieces of finely julienne strips of mangetout

Sprinkle the black sesame seeds onto a teaplate and carefully roll the prepped cucumber slices in them until a good coating has been achieved. Place each piece gently onto a serving plate/s. Trust me..it's easier this way. lol 

Mash the avocado flesh until almost smooth and then add in the wasabi paste, fresh ginger, chilli, Braggs and sesame oil. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients and then set to one side. 

If you haven't already done so, now would be the time to prep the carrots, baby corn and mangetout. Add the cooked brown rice into the avocado mix and then stir well. Spoon the filling into the cored centre of each piece of cucumber. Making sure there is a heaped mound of filling on each one. Take a selection of the prepped veggies and push them carefully down into the centre of the filling. And then pack the filling around the vertical veggies. (I wanted to say erect but ML wouldn't let me...*shaking head*...lol) And then serve chilled...

Enjoy!! 

Holiday Post Card Of The Day:

View from Rose Farm...just beautiful, eh?

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great weekend...

~Red~ 

NB: This is my creation inspired by many others recipes I've seen. I have no problem with you using it or sharing it. I simply ask you give credit where it's due as I always try to...many thanks. Namaste..~R~