Saturday 14 June 2014

Rocket & Roses Chilli, Broad Bean & Lentil Dip (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Thunder ~ Live At Donnington Album 

The thought that not that long ago..well ok maybe a few years now..I didn't really get the whole chilli heat thing is amazing to me. Now I have them as often as possible and they are an essential item in my regular breakfasts. I'm not an addict so I don't go for the hotter the better option and I am certainly not going to enter any chilli eating contests..ever. I leave that to the serious chilli fans out there. lol. But I have definitely found my chilliside. The same with asparagus but that really is a recent thing. As they came into season I started to buy them and threw out the old tried and tested ways of eating them...and actually found that I really love them. I'm very happy about this but today I went a step further and used them as a crudite and they were amazingly good. Ah...food loves...lol 

Now to food hates...least liked kitchen duty...skinning broad beans. Arghhhhh! As I am a self confessed patience challenged person I find this job most annoying. Why do I keep putting myself through it? Well I actually love the end result but only if all traces of skin have been removed. It's strange that I can spend hours prepping veggies and can happily chop for England....but give me a bag (or two!) of broad bean pods and I feel almost rageful. It is a necessity to combine this chore with doing something that takes my attention away from it...last night it was watching ML and our little nephew having a marathon Mixels Lego monster building session. Saddos..lol. And when I had finished I was left with...well..a small amount of beans..dammit! I also have a strange shudder reaction to the furry skins of the shells...anyway....lol. 

I had a stash of chillies thanks to ML's bargain hunting skills and I decided to have a go at making a hot dip to go with veggies and/or tortilla chips. As my two ginormous bags of broad beans yielded so little I had to get creative with an additional ingredient. I wanted to keep true to the natural lush greenness of the chillies and beans so to me it was obvious to use plump cooked green lentils. I was really happy with the resulting dip as it has the heat that I was hoping to achieve but it didn't take away from the wholesome beans and lentils natural flavours. The fresh garlic was a subtle addition to the flavour and the ground ginger provided a further kick of mellow heat. As the stock was added it smoothed out to a very pleasant silky dip.

Rocket & Roses Hot, Hot Chilli Broad Bean & Lentil Dip

Rocket &Roses Hot, Hot Chilli Broad Bean & Lentil Dip 
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1/2 tbsp coconut oil (optional as you could steam saute)
6oz broad beans, cooked and skinned
2 onions, chopped
6 fresh garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 green chillies, de-seeded and sliced 
1 tsp ground ginger
1 14oz tin of green lentils, rinsed and drained
2 fl oz low sodium veggie stock 

Place the cooked broad beans and green lentils in a blender.  

Gently heat the oil in a skillet and then add the onions, garlic, chillies and ground ginger. Stir to coat well with the melted oil then cover and leave to cook down over a low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. When the onions are very soft and the mix has mulched remove from the heat. Leave to one side to cool a little. 

Add the onion mix to the blender and then start to blend the dip until smooth..adding the veggie stock when needed. You may need a little extra stock or water depending on your ingredients. When the blender has smoothed the mix out pour it into a container with an airtight lid. Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Best served chilled...or warm with tortilla chips. 

Roll call for the cruds: asparagus, baby sweetcorn, sugarsnap peas, carrots, red and yellow pepper. It tasted great with all of them..but obviously the choice is yours. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Saturday has been a blissful one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is my creation. I have no problem with you using it or sharing it. I simply ask you give credit where it's due. As I always try to...many thanks. Namaste..~R~