Wednesday 11 June 2014

Rocket & Roses Crunchy Cous Cous Salad with Tangerine, Tahini & Ginger Dressing (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Black Stone Cherry ~ Blow My Mind
Nickelback ~ Good Times Gone
Jackson Browne ~ For A Dancer
Paul Weller ~ Time Passes
Suede ~ The Wild Ones
INXS ~ Need You Tonight
Gina Sicilia ~ So Attracted To You
VAST ~ The Last One Alive
Angela Gheorghiu ~ Verdi: La Traviata Act 1 - Ah, Fora'E Lui
Tina Dico ~ Let's Get Lost
The Three Tenors ~ Puccini: Nessun Dorma
Chris Cornell ~ You Know My Name
Stevie Ray Vaughn ~ Look At Little Sister
Paolo Nutini ~ Better Man

Maize cous cous...have you ever used it before? If not, you should. ML found a box on a recent trip to our local..yes local..supermarket. For two years I have missed those last minute cous cous or bulgar wheat meals. Although I have to say my preference was always for the latter. I just liked the ease of making the meals and on days when my energy levels were low it was always a beautiful thing knowing I could whip up some bulgar wheat and pair it with some tasty veggies...hot or cold...it was delicious and more importantly..easy.

This cous cous is just maize with no other added nasties which is good for me. I try to control my maize/corn intake so the box will last at least 4-6 meals. I made some yesterday to go in my stuffed courgettes and I had forgotten how much a little dried cous cous can yield when cooked and so I found myself with a good double portion to make my lunch time salad for today and tomorrow. Bonus indeed. I was worried that it wouldn't hold it's shape overnight in the fridge but I couldn't have been more wrong. I take back what I said in yesterday's post about it not being as robust as wheat based cous cous...in fact I would go as far as saying it actually makes a better salad. The little nuggets of maize really held their own amongst the crunchy veggies that I packed the salad out with. For readers in the UK...they are a Free From product from supermarket Tescos. I haven't had a chance to look online yet to see if there are alternative stockists...I've just been enjoying this box. 

I'll confess that this recipe wasn't my planned posting for today and therefore I have no real measurements except for the dressing. My original recipe was 2/3 way through cooking when I opened my bag of kale to find 1. it had a rotting creature in it (there are places fingers should never...ever..go. Ew! Poor thing) and 2. the kale itself was just dead. I was so cross as this was one of the main ingredients for the recipe. I will hopefully bring that to you later in the week..maybe when I have stopped shuddering. lol. Thankfully I had already made my salad and was about to make the dressing. Some days in the kitchen are less satisfying than others, eh? 

Listed below are the ingredients and also the dressing recipe and it's really up to you as to how much of each you use. But I can say it was a great salad and the dressing blended perfectly with the cous cous and veggies. It was refreshing and not heavy on the tum which is always good. I think I am definitely a maize cous cous convert. This would make a great picnic salad too...

Rocket & Roses Crunchy Cous Cous Salad with Tangerine, Tahini & Ginger Dressing
 

R&R Crunchy Cous Cous Salad with Tangerine, Tahini & Ginger Dressing
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

cooked maize cous cous or wheat alternative if that's your wish

baby sweetcorn, halved and quartered
mangetout, trimmed and halved
sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
mooli, peeled and grated
carrot, peeled and grated
broccoli, trimmed and cut into bitesize florests
celery stalks, finely sliced
radish, trimmed and sliced 
fresh garlic cloves, finely sliced
edamame beans 

Dressing:

juice of 3 tangerines or other small orange citrus
1 1/2 tbsp tahini 
1 1/2 heaped tsp fresh ginger, micro-grated 

Add all the prepped veggies into a large bowl and toss well to thoroughly mix. Add in the cooked cous cous and stir in. 

In a small bowl add the tangerine juice, tahini and grated or minced fresh ginger and whisk until the tahini has broken down into the juice. 

When ready to serve drizzle the dressing over the salad and then portion out into bowls..

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been a great one...

~Red~

NB: This is my creation. I am happy for you to use this recipe and share it at will. I only ask that you give credit where it is due. As I always try to do. Many thanks, namaste ~R~