Thursday 24 July 2014

Rocket & Roses Smokey White Aubergine/Eggpant Stacks (vegan and gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Cyndi Lauper ~ All Through The Night
The Kinks ~ All Day And All Through The Night
Nirvana ~ Polly (MTV Unplugged Session)
Keaton Heston ~ You
Buckcherry ~ Highway Star
Bryan Adams ~ There Will Never Be Another Tonight
Vivaldi: Flute Concerto "La Tempesta Di Mare"
VAST ~ Pretty When You Cry
Rob Thomas ~ Falling To Pieces
Chris Cornell ~ Disappearing One
Thunder ~ It Could Be Tonight
Bach: Cello Suite #6 in D
REM ~ Everybody Hurts
Jack Johnson ~ Staple It Together 

It has certainly been a very busy week so far...how about you? Mine has been predominantly medical based and therefore it has been a little stressful at times. It also means I haven't been able to spend much time, if any, in the kitchen. I find this frustrating especially when I have fresh ingredients sat waiting to be used. During a recent market shopping trip I found white aubergines...I know, right? I thought these little beauties were a foodie myth..but no! I bought three of the little devils and had great plans for them. However it has taken me far longer to get some time to use them...such is life for me right now. 

I wanted a strong flavour to go with my white aubergines and I needed a smokey hit too. I had some leftover thai red cargo rice from a previous meal and a bag of cooked Beluga lentils. My time in the kitchen needed to be brief so I was happy to cut corners where I needed to. I enjoyed making these stacks and I served them on a bed of lightly steamed finely cut runner beans. The finished dish was a delight...succulent aubergine that melted into the layer of smokey rice and lentils and the runner beans added a fresh green layer. And they looked great too...phew! 

Rocket & Roses Smokey White Aubergine/Eggplant Stacks on Runnerbean Bed
 

Rocket & Roses Smokey White Aubergine/Eggplant Stacks   Serves 4
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

3 white aubergines, trimmed and sliced into 1.5" slices 
small bowl of garlic infused olive oil

1 tsp olive oil
1 lg red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lg red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste 
6 fl oz boiling water
250g cooked Beluga black lentils
1 heaped tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped 
3/4 tsp smoked paprika 
6 tbsp cooked Thai red cargo rice (or rice of your choice)
freshly ground black pepper and Himaylanian salt to season

fresh runner beans, finely sliced 

Brush each slice of aubergine with the garlic oil on both sides. Heat a griddle pan and then place the aubergine slices onto it. Press down to score each side and cook, flipping occasionally, until the slices are succulent and cooked through. 

Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the red onions for 4 minutes or until softened. Add in the garlic and red pepper. Stir well, cover and cook over a low heat until the red pepper has mulched into the onion and garlic. Dissolve the tomato paste into the boiling water and add that to the pan along with the lentils. Stir in the fresh thyme and paprika and stir well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. 

Steam the finely cut runner beans and ready the serving plate. 

Add the cooked rice into the lentil mix, heat through and cook until the rice is heated thoroughly. Season with generous amounts of freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt.

Spread the runner beans over the serving dish and place the bottom layer of aubergine over the top. Spoon a layer of the lentil mix over each aubergine slice. Press on a second layer of aubergine and repeat with a second layer of the lentils mix. Top each stack with a final layer of aubergine and then top each stack with a little bundle of runner beans. And serve...

Gratuitous foodie close up...check out those scorches...

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great week...I'll be back as and when I can...

~Red~ 

NB: This is my creation. I have no problem with you using the recipe or sharing it. I simply ask that you give credit where it is due as I always try to. Many thanks...Namaste ~R~