Wednesday 19 November 2014

Jamaican Jerk Tofu and Veggies (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

The Cranberries ~ Animal Instinct
Dead Sara ~ I Said You Were Lucky
Beth Hart ~ It's Too Late
Lenny Kravitz ~ Lady
Airbourne ~ Heartbreaker
Skin ~ House Of Love
Bonnie Raitt ~ I Can't Make You Love Me
Blancmange ~ The Day Before You Came
Sound City ~ Your Wife Is Calling
Royal Blood ~ Out Of The Black
KORN ~ For No One
Amy LeVere ~ We Went Sailing
Hunter Valentine ~ Typical
Jack Johnson ~ Hope

I have really been enjoying Robin Robertson's One-dish Vegan cookbook. I've made and devoured quite a few recipes from it now but last night's recipe for Jamaican Jerk Tofu & Veggies was by far my favourite...so far. In fact I gave it a 10/10 on my scoring system and that is a rarity. I adapted it very slightly by using seasoned tofu pieces instead of the tempeh that Robin suggests. No matter how I cook tempeh I just don't like the taste but as I had a package of Cauldron tofu pieces in my fridge I figured it would be a good substitution. I also added a tin of black beans to it because the tofu was only half of the amount the recipe required. 

My pain levels are pretty bad right now and my kitchen time has been extremely limited so I was very happy that the making of this dish kept my mind occupied. From the simple tasks like measuring out the spices and mixing them to the stirring of the stew but that is how kitchen work is like therapy for me. But I wasn't prepared for how the aromatics of the spice combination would effect my mood. I experienced a spice high! It felt fantastic...and if this is what eating Jerk veggies is all about...bring it on. 

I served mine with brown rice and that worked for my tastes. The veggies were a great combination and the texture of the tofu pieces and added black beans worked really well but then the addition of the rich, spicy sauce made this outstandingly tasty. Warmth, spiciness, great textures...what more can you want? I loved this dish and I am so delighted there is plenty of leftovers! Such a fabulous cookbook...

Jamaican Jerk Tofu & Veggies
 
Jamaican Jerk Tofu & Veggies         Serves 4
(Recipe from One-dish Vegan/Robinson)

2 tsp natural sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp dried allspice or cinnamon (I used the latter) 
4oz seasoned tofu pieces     OR
8oz tempeh, steamed and cut into 1" chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dark rum - optional (I omitted)
1/2 cup veggie stock
3 garlic cloves
1 med red onion, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 med courgette/zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 14oz tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tamari 
salt
1 14oz tin of black beans (I added to go with the tofu pieces)

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, thyme, oregano, cumin, allspice, coriander and cayenne. Add the tofu/tempeh and toss to coat. 

Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the tofu/tempeh pieces (reserving any remaining spice mixture) and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the rum, if using. Remove the tofu/tempeh from the skillet and reserve. 

Without wiping out the skillet, add the broth to the same skillet and heat over a medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion and sweet potato, cover, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Uncover, and stir in the courgette, tomatoes with their juices, tamari, and salt to taste. Add the reserved tofu/tempeh and the remaining spice mixture and stir gently to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the veggies are tender and the flavours are blended, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Serve hot. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is being good to you...

~Red~

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is an adapted recipe from Robin Robinson and the original creation is hers and hers alone. I do send out thanks to her for sharing such a great recipe. Namaste...~R~