Tuesday 2 December 2014

Rocket & Roses Creamy Celeriac & Sunflower Soup (vegan, gluten-free, LF)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Halestorm ~ Beautiful With You
Meredith Brooks ~ Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)
Them Crooked Vultures ~ Warsaw Or The First Breath You Take After You Give Up
The Stranglers ~ European Female
Shakira ~ Donde Estas Corazon
Thunder ~ She's So Fine (Live at Donnington - Monsters of Rock)
Depeche Mode ~ Shake The Disease 
Chely Wright ~ Not As In Love
Clare Teal ~ All The Things You Are
Tina Dico ~ In The Red
Bruce Springsteen ~ Hungry Heart 
Van Morrison ~ Have I Told You Lately?
Beth Hart ~ Love Thing
No Doubt ~ Running 

Wow...London was a trip! My roots are firmly based in London (although I was born in Devon) but I always forget how much I love the place until I go back...and then I fall in love with it all over again. However, I really dislike the traffic or maybe I'm just getting older. We had a packed four days planned but getting to and from places took so long we only got to do the 'big' things. Our hotel was basic but clean and comfortable. The Donmar's Henry IV was amazing and the all female cast rocked the performance particularly the actress Ashley McGuire who played Falstaff. She had me crying with laughter one moment then shrinking back in fear during a latter scene. We came out of that performance knowing we had witnessed something special. Saturdays big thing was at the Shepherds Bush Empire to see Tina Dico in concert and it was quite frankly...awesome. I know some hate that word but I don't care...it adequately describes the evening. We even got to see Bond Streets Christmas lights on the way back to the hotel afterwards. On Sunday we took a stroll to the British Museum to view the Ancient Lives, New Discoveries exhibit. I was completely fascinated with the eight lives they had pieced together and was surprised by how emotional I became. We also enjoyed a stroll around Soho and Carnaby Street...well you just have too. Sadly all this fun had an impact on my body so rest is on the cards for the next few days...well...when I've achieved some minimal cooking time. We also have our good friend Ann staying with us whilst she heals after some surgery so its Ouches and Expletive Therapy for the next week or so. It's necessary...it helps speed up healing...true story..as does laughter and thankfully we do a lot of that too. 

So to today's recipe...and I know, I know!..it's another soup recipe. But I do eat a lot of soup and especially so, when the days are colder and my kitchen time is limited. I am always floored by how a few simple ingredients can make a great tasting and satisfying meal. I wanted to make a nutritious and comforting soup for myself and Ann for lunch. I had a 1kg celeriac root begging to be used and that was that! 20 minutes later...Ann was slowly making her way through a serving. The flavours are deeply savoury with a cleanness to them. I'm not usually a pureed soup fan but it felt right to blend the veggies, beans and stock together to make a thickly delicious soup. Ann loved it...I loved it and the good news is we can enjoy it again tomorrow too! This makes four thick portions of soup or you could add a little more stock or water to thin it down to make servings for 6-8. The choice, as always, is entirely yours folks. 

Rocket & Roses Celeriac & Sunflower Soup (vegan, gluten-free & LF)

Rocket & Roses Celeriac & Sunflower Soup    Serves 4
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tsp rapeseed/canola oil or water to steam saute
1 med/lg white onion, finely chopped
2" piece of fresh ginger root, micro-grated with juice
3 cloves garlic, micro-grated
1 14oz tin of Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 kg celeriac root, peeled and cubed 
3 1/2 cups hot low sodium veggie stock or water, plus extra if you wish to thin
1 heaped tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
small handful of raw sunflower seeds, plus extra for topping (optional)

In a soup pan gently heat the oil and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Over a low heat, cover and cook the onion mix until it has softened. Approx 5 minutes..stirring often to prevent sticking. 

Add the celeriac and beans and stir well to coat in the onion mixture and leave to cook for 2 minutes, stirring once. 

Add the stock, parsley, lemon juice and season generously with freshly cracked black pepper and a pinch of low sodium salt. (Latter is optional) Stir well and cover and bring to a boil, stir in the sunflower seeds, reduce the heat to a simmer and replace the lid. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the celeriac is tender when tested. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth and creamy. Adding more hot stock/water to the soup if you want a thinner soup. Serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your weekend was a good one and your week has started well...

~Red~ 

NB: This is my creation and I have no problem with you using the recipe or sharing it. I only ask you give credit where it's due via links back to this posting. Many thanks...~R~