Monday 30 March 2015

Rocket & Roses Tenderstem Broccoli and Asparagus Soup (vegan&gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Soundgarden ~ I Awake
Foo Fighters ~ Razor
Black Eyed Peas ~ Hey Mama
Norah Jones ~ Be Here To Love Me
Melissa Etheridge ~ Company
Joan Jett ~ Misunderstood
Brandi Carlile ~ Throw It All Away
The Fratellis ~ Babydoll
Alison Moyet ~ All Cried Out
Rizzle Kicks ~ Down With The Trumpets
No Doubt ~ Bathwater
Doris Day ~ Secret Love
Melissa Etheridge ~ Stronger Than Me
Audioslave ~ Show Me How To Love

I recently ended up with a large stash of tenderstem broccoli and asparagus in my stocks. I know...such a hardship. To me these two humble veggies are a perfect combination. I have many recipes that I use them together as the star attraction but for some reason I had not tried them in soup. As I had acquired quite a stash I decided to give it a shot. 

I didn't want anything taking away from the natural flavours of these green lovelies. So I added ginger to give the soup a little warmth, green lentils to fill it out and Braggs to add to the savouriness. The results were a pleasure to eat. This soup has an wholesome, healing feel as you eat it. The flavours combine to bring a fresh earthiness to each mouthful and the ginger is a pleasant heat. It is also quick to make and freezes well too. When you are in need of nourishment this soup really hits the spot...

 

Rocket & Roses Broccoli and Asparagus Soup (vegan & gluten-free)

Rocket & Roses Broccoli and Asparagus Soup  Serves 4
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tsp rapeseed/canola oil
1 med onion, sliced
1 1/2" fresh ginger, micro-grated
3 1/2 cups low sodium veggie stock
1 cup fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1"pieces
2 cups tenderstem broccoli, cut into 1" pieces
1 cup cooked green lentils
2 tsp Braggs liquid animos (tamari or soy sauce)
freshly cracked black pepper to taste

Gently heat the oil in a soup pan and toss in the onions and fresh ginger. Saute until the onions have softened. Stir in the chopped tenderstem broccoli and asparagus. Add in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes maximum. Add in the green lentils, Braggs and grate black pepper into the soup. Stir well to evenly distribute and once the soup comes back up to a boil, remove from the heat. Blend until smooth and serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week starts well...

~Red~

NB: This is my creation. I have no problem with you using the recipe or sharing it. I simply ask that you give credit where it's due and provide links back to this posting. Many thanks...Namaste ~R~