Monday 20 April 2015

Apple Tart (vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free)

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

Audioslave ~ Cochise
Audioslave ~ Like A Stone
Audioslave ~ What You Are
Chris Cornell ~ Can't Change Me
Audioslave ~ #1 Zero
Audioslave ~ Gasoline
Chris Cornell ~ Pillow Of Your Bones
Audioslave ~ Jewel Of The Summertime
Chris Cornell ~ Part Of Me
Audioslave ~ Drown me Slowly
Audioslave ~ The Last Remaining Light
Chris Cornell ~ Arms Around Your Love 
Audioslave ~ Show Me How To Live
Chris Cornell ~ She'll Never Be Your Man

I enjoyed the company of good friends on Sunday evening and it was my pleasure to cook them all a meal and give us all a chance to relax and catch up with each other. When deciding what I wanted to cook for us I easily planned out the main course but struggled with the dessert. I was craving good old fashioned apple pie which is odd as I am by no means a dessert person nor a pie person. Strange how cravings hit you, isn't it? I thumbed through my recipe files and found this tart recipe that was heavy on flavour and apples without being loaded with gluten, dairy and refined sugars. Perfect..

It was very easy to make. The crust was quite delicate and I confess I served mine still on the loose base from my flan tin. It is a crumbly base but I liked that and the flavours were very enjoyable with the wholesome texture combined with the spices and tahini hit. The apple toppings were delicate in flavour but comforting with the mix of apples and dates..sweet enough without having a major sugar-rush after each mouthful. I served ours cold with indulgent chilled soya-vanilla custard. The dessert was rich but without the heaviness and stodge of traditional apple and custard. And I must confess...we all enjoyed a second slice. Ooops... 

Apple Tart ~ Vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar free...so tasty!

Apple Tart    Serves 8

2oz ground almonds
4oz brown rice flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 tbsp light tahini

3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
2 medjool dates, chopped
6fl oz filtered water

2 Gala apples, cored and finely sliced (skins on)
1/2 tbsp sunflower oil

Place the ground almonds, rice flour, cinnamon, cloves, water, sunflower oil and light tahini into a processor and blitz until you have a crumb consistency. Line the base of a 9" loose based flan tin and press the crumbs onto the base, flattening it out until you have an even surface. Do not press into the sides and be sure to leave a clear edge between the edge of the tin and the crust. Heat the oven to 200'C/400'F/GM6 and bake the crust for 15 minutes or until it has turned golden brown. 

Place the chopped apples, dates and water into a saucepan and stew the mix until the apples are soft. Remove from the heat and puree until smooth. 

Leaving a 1 cm edge around the crust spread the apple/date puree evenly over the crust. Take the sliced apples and place them on top of the puree in any overlapping pattern you wish. Brush the apple slices with the sunflower oil and place back into the oven for 20 minutes or until the apples are cooked and beginning to brown. Serve warm or cold. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week starts well...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my creation and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. I do send out thanks to whoever did. ~R~